We all suffer from sore throats once in a while, especially now with the change from cold to warm to hot, we are all bound to pick up a virus from someone. I personally hate all medications, including dayquil, lozenges and anything else that just MASKS the problem. Instead, I'm all about NATURAL home-made remedies for all illness. My whole family picked up some kind of a cold and we all have sore throats, so here is something I've tried and want to share my secret with the rest of the world:
1) Cayenne Pepper - I'm a huge spice fan in general and will shortly write about my love and the benefits of spices. Gargle warm water with a bit of cayenne pepper mixed in. It's very spicy, so don't over do it, but you should feel a tingle in the back of the throat. I even swallowed a small amount in each gargle to insure it went further down.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar - I can talk about vinegar and its miraculous benefits/uses ALL day, so I wasn't surprised when I ran across this method. Here is what you will need: 2 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp. Honey, lemon juice and a little hot water to dilute. Gargle and you will FEEL the difference instantly!
3) Oregano Oil - has antifungal and antiviral properties helping to relieve a sore throat. Ideal for gargling with and applied topically onto the feet with another oil. Be careful, this is a HOT oil, it will burn unless you mix it in with another oil and use VERY little, it is POTENT!!! Directions: Apply one to three drops on the tongue, close your mouth and allow your saliva to wash it back towards your throat. You will feel a choking/burning sensation for about 10 to 20 seconds which will soon subside. Repeat as needed throughout the day.
4) Chill Pepper (or Cayenne) & Apple Cider Vinegar - an interesting and potent combination. Directions: Dilute a glass of hot water, 1 shot glass ACV, 2 tbsp. honey, squeeze some lemon juice, & 1/2 tsp cayenne. Gargle and viola!
5) Garlic - I'm a big of this herb as you all know and eat a few cloves as I feel a sickness coming on, but this is interesting, because for a sore throat you can make garlic TEA! Here is how you make it: Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic (depending on how bold you are feeling, because raw garlic STINGS), in hot boiling water along with pieces of ginger, 1/2 tbsp of cayenne pepper, tea bag (preferably a chamomile or lemon) & honey. Let it steep, strain the pieces & drink warm.
Give these a try and feel better :)