In my attempt to try and omit meat from our diets without the husband noticing, I made these and he had NO idea :) SCORE! Even my meat-loving 3 year old picky eater was saying "I want some more of these 'meat' cakes" haha
I'm always curious as to which foods are better eaten raw and which are better consumed cooked and for the longest time I thought spinach is best eaten raw, but did you know that it's actually better absorbed by the body COOKED? Cooking it actually increases its health benefits! Just like tomatoes!
Spinach has MANY health benefits, but my 3 favorites are:
1) Skin care - can relieve dry itchy skin if consumed on a regular bases. Need to get me a juicer. My birthday is coming up. Anyone? :)
2) Keeps you regular - its high fiber content, as well as water helps promote a healthy digestive tract. Yes, everybody poops!
So, here is a very delicious, nutritious & simple recipe to incorporate more spinach into your diet:
- 1 medium onion (I like the sweet onions) finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 oz chopped baby spinach
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups of cooked quinoa
- 8 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- himalayan salt & pepper to taste
Cucumber Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup of plain TOTAL aka FULL FAT! Greek yogurt (FAGE is my FAVE!)
- 1 medium size finely chopped cucumber
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped scallions
- 2 tsps of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsps of fresh chopped dill
- Salt & pepper
1. Cook your quinoa according to directions. Usually, it's bring to boil, then reduce and simmer until a ring forms around it, drain and cool
2. Sautee onion for 2 minutes, add garlic until softened and fragrant. Mmmm, love this smell!
3. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl
4. Add the eggs, cooked quinoa, dill, feta, lemon zest, salt & pepper. Mix well. Add bread crumbs and let the mixture sit for a bit to absorb the moisture
5. Form round patties in your hand and line them up on a cutting board so they are all ready to be cooked.
6. Heat you skillet on medium-high heat and place the patties, in batches ( I did about 4-5 patties per round)
7. Grill them until they are browned about 4-5 minutes per side.
8. Serve with the yogurt sauce
Yogurt Sauce Directions:
1. Whisk together the yogurt, scallions, lemon juice, dill and cucumbers in a small bowl, season with salt & pepper and refrigerate to allow the flavors to mend. If you don't have time for this step, no worries, it's good as is :)