I got bitten by a bee on the lower lip when I was a kid while climbing up a tomato vine and was not quite a fan of them from then on. However I've forgiven them since then and learned that bees are quite amazing . A busy bee hive can produce up to 300 pounds of honey in a single season. Overachievers!
I personally love honey and recent conversation sparked an idea about finding out the difference between raw honey & processed jar honey.
Raw honey has not been heated excessively through pasteurization, which "commercial" teddy-bear-looking honey goes through and it's the process where a lot of nutrients die. That way raw honey is able to keep all its beneficial enzymes, which makes it easy to digest by the body because honeybees actually pre-digest the nectar in their bellies.
Raw honey is also the healthier option to sugar, because it contains less calories and it is composed of fructose & glucose, which are easily digested by the body. As opposed to sugar, which contains sucrose making the pancreas work harder.
Here are all the reasons to love and incorporate raw honey into your diet:
- natural energy booster
- helps build your immune system due to its high antioxidant levels. Here is a quick recipe: mix a spoonful of honey and lemon juice from half a lemon into a cup of warm water and drink it.
- prevents muscle fatigue during exercise due to its natural sugars
- keeps blood sugar levels constant compare to other forms of sugar
- honey possesses carcinogen-preventing and anti-tumour properties. According to the book Honey Revolution by Dr Ron Fessenden, scientists have found floral flavonoids in honey. These tiny traces of bioflavonoids, generally known as antioxidants, have powerful influences when entered into the body's cells. When ingested, they immediately increase the antioxidant levels within cells.
- cholesterol & fat free.
- can be used as a remedy for variety of ailments
- cuts & burns - apply to a wound to promote healing.
- hangovers - here is the recipe: 15ml of liquid honey with 80ml of orange juice and 70ml of natural yogurt. Blend them together until smooth
- sore throats - it can not only soothe a sore throat, but also kill bacteria that causes the infection.
- sleeplessness - take a glass of hot milk with a teaspoon of honey to calm the soul and induce sleep