COCONUTS! YUM! We think of a beachy vacation when we think of coconuts; the sun and the water, days of uninterrupted rest in the shade, under a coconut tree. But have we stopped to think for a second, what are those "monkey" looking fruits made out of? And are they good for our health. Well, the answer is YES!
Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. While coconuts possess many health benefits due to its fiber and nutritional content, it's the oil that makes it a truly remarkable food and medicine. I recently got a recommendation from a friend to cook with coconut oil, because it is considered the best in the WORLD! That's quiet a high statement to make, so I decided to dig in and do some research myself. Ends up being, she was right. There are thousands upon thousands of articles and scientific proof that coconut oil is extremely healthy for a variety of things. Cooking for one.
This might be a shock to a lot of you, but olive oil should NOT be used for cooking. I know it was to me! "But so many recipes say to use olive oil to saute my mushrooms..." The truth is, due to its chemical structure, heat makes olive oil susceptible to oxidative damage.
Here are a few benefits of coconut oil
- Improves your heart health
- Boost your thyroid
- Increases your metabolism
- Promotes lean body and weight loss
- Supports your immune system
Here are a few of uses of coconut oil:
- Cooking - I have started cooking with coconut oil and not only does my food taste better, it makes me feel great that my family will be getting all the goodness coconut oil has to offer on daily bases. Coconut oil can withstand high temperatures, hence is better for cooking than any other oil out there.
- Skin care - it works wonders moisturizing the skin, leaving it refreshed and awake, especially the dry and aged. The fat in the oil helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles without any irritation. Coconut oil can also help with skin problems like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin conditions. I like to use coconut oil on my sore feet to relieve stress and moisturize. Check out the in shower coffee and coconut oil scrub recipe
- Hair care - I work it in my hair for about an hour before a shower and it leaves my hair shiny and moisturized, plus it's been said it helps your hair grow!
- Digestion - The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, making you healthier all around
- Healing - Try applying coconut oil on scrapes and cuts, it will create a barrier which protects the wound from outside bacteria. It will also speed up the healing process. How awesome is that?
- Energize - it's a natural energy boost